Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved to continue Capacity Development Scheme (CDS) of Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation (MoSPI) for duration of 2017-18 to 2019-20. CDS scheme is approved in the CCEA Meeting presided over by the PM Narendra Modi with an outlay of Rs. 2250 crore. CDS is an ongoing central sector scheme of MoSPI which aims to collect Official Statistics / Survey & Census.
The primary objective of Capacity Development Scheme of MoSPI is to augment infrastructural, technical and manpower resources. This will enable credible and timely official statistics for policy makers and public at large.
CDS Scheme will help in building capacity to bring important sets of macro-economic and other data by MoSPI.
Capacity Development Scheme of MoSPI – Activities & Statistics
The various major ongoing activities under CDS Scheme includes the following things:-
- Augment Resources to bring out important statistical products. This includes:-
- Gross Domestic Product (GDP)
- Consumer Price Index (CPI)
- Index of Industrial Production (IIP)
- Statistical Classifications
- Conducting various Socio-Economic Surveys and Capacity Building activities.
- Strengthening Statistical Co-ordination and Improving IT infrastructure.
Under this scheme, Periodic Labour Force Survey was launched last year. PLFS is a continuous survey to assess quarterly labour data in urban areas and annual labour data for the whole country (urban and rural areas).
Capacity Development Scheme of MoSPI – Survey & Census
Capacity Development Scheme (CDS) includes 2 sub-schemes whose description is given below:-
- Economic Census (EC) – Under this sub-scheme, listing of all non-agricultural establishments is undertaken periodically. This forms the basis to conduct detailed socio-economic surveys. Last Economic Census was conducted during January 2013 to April 2014. Government is aiming to conduct Census once every 3 years in future.
- Support for Statistical Strengthening (SSS) – SSS sub-scheme will strengthen State / Sub-State level statistical systems / infrastructure. This will facilitate development of a robust national system.
Ministry proposes to take up 3 new surveys under the Capacity Development Scheme. These surveys are Time Use Survey (TUS), Annual Survey of Service Sector Enterprises (ASSSE) and Annual Survey of Unincorporated Sector Enterprises (ASUSE).